Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Christmas Is Finally Over

Well, I had an extremely busy weekend and now Christmas 2012 is officially over for me.   I was sick with the flu over the Christmas holidays and we had to postpone our Christmas celebrations with my family.  We ended up having it this past Sunday.   We did it at my daughters house because it's quite a bit larger than mine and there is room for everyone to go.  My house is small and it gets quite cramped once you set out the big tables and all the chairs. So that part was nice.  However, it just means more work for me because I have to prepare everything here and then cart it all over there.  Her oven is smaller so it means cooking most of it here and then trying to put it in pans that will fit her oven - lol!  All in all it worked out pretty well though so I hoped she enjoyed it because the next holiday will be there too. 



It was still nice to see the family and there was no mess for me to cleanup when I got home which was pretty  nice too.  I don't get to see my family as much anymore.  In fact we usually only see them on holidays.   It's kind of sad actually.  They don't live all that far away about 2 hours one way.  It just seems like we never have time any more.  Granted in winter there is the weather to worry about, traveling in snow is not my cup of tea but there is no excuse for not visiting the rest of the year.  So although I don't really like to make New Year's resolutions, I do plan on making some changes and visiting family and getting out more is one of them.  We barely went anywhere in 2012 at all. I can count the number of times on one hand we went out for anything other than shopping.  It used to be we were out every weekend going somewhere - anywhere actually.  Flea Markets, beaches, fishing, camping, long summer drives, picnics, visit to family ....... I'm not sure what happened but we stopped, we stopped pretty much doing anything, we stopped having fun.  So that is what has to change this year.   Once I get my van fixed of course :(  have to replace the strut assembly on the passenger side.

So now Christmas is officially over and the decorations have to come down.  I started taking them down yesterday and have one room done.  It looks so bare now but definitely less cluttered and clean.  If I could I would decorate all year - I love my decorations.   It all just seems so empty and blah without the lights and sparkle.  Maybe I need to figure out how to add some "twinkle and sparkle" into my everyday decor so I can have a little bit of comfy, cozy Christmas all year long.


Bye Bye Christmas
So today I have to finish packing up all the rest of my decorations.  Then I'm going to go through the entire house room by room and reorganize.  It seems over the months leading up to Christmas everything kind of gets moved out of place.  I'm not sure whether its because we are always in a rush and things just get shoved where ever or whether we just don't care because there are more pressing matters to take care of.  Either way everything is not where it should be which makes keeping things neat and tidy that much harder.

Something else I need to do is clean out my son's room.  I haven't been able to go in there since he past away in November and I'm not sure I am ready to go in there yet.   I don't think there has been a day gone by that I haven't cried, or missed him or felt a whole in my soul where he used to be.  This will be the hardest part of 2013 ... trying to get on with my life and make a life that doesn't include him. Due to his handicapped he was a huge, huge part of our everyday life.  In fact most of our day was dedicated to caring for him.  Both my husband and myself find it very hard to move on at this point.  I will get to his room at some point just not sure when I will be able to handle it :(

OK, I'm off to take down decorations.

No comments :