Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Morning Green Smoothie

Part of my eating plan is to include more "raw" food.  The easiest way to to do this and the best way to gain the most benefit is to make a smoothie.  You are using the whole fruit or vegetable, wasting nothing and reaping all the benefits.

So here's my recipe for a delicious morning smoothie - this makes 2 very large servings which my husband and I enjoy and usually keeps us feeling full all morning.  This is by no means low-carb because of the fruit and it does spike my blood sugar a bit but the health benefits outweigh the shot of insulin I have to take.


Kim's Morning Smoothie
1 cup spinach/kale/chard or any other green you enjoy (spinach is very mild and is best for beginning)
1 cup mixed frozen berries (I use a strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry blend)
1 ripe frozen banana (make sure your banana is ripe or even overripe it gives the best flavor.  I let my bananas get really, really ripe and then freeze them whole)
1 inch slice ginger root
1 scoop protein powder (you can use whatever flavor you like, vanilla, strawberry, chocolate)
1/2 cucumber
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup coconut milk ( I buy mine in cans and use about 1/2 can per recipe)
1 cup almond milk (can use soy, coconut or even regular milk or even water if you like)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Juice from 1/2 a lime
2 pkg Stevia or other sweetener to taste (honey, maple syrup) I use Stevia because I am trying to avoid white sugar and the other would just add to the rise in my blood sugar

Blend everything on high speed until good and smooth.  Serve in a large glass and enjoy. I sometimes play around with the recipe and omit some things or add some things depending on the season as long as the greens are in there because that's what counts. Add as much "green" as you can tolerate - the more you can get in there the better.  You may find you need less or more sweetener, a lot will depend on the sweetness of the banana and the bitterness of the greens used.  Just take a spoon and test and adjust to taste.








No comments :