Thursday, January 3, 2013

Yummy Low Carb Bread

My main problem with going low carb and no white is not having bread.  I am a bread lover.  I like my buns, tortillas wraps, pocket bread etc.  I like sandwiches for lunch, toast occasionally for breakfast or snack and well you get the drift.  I find life very difficult without bread.   For those that live in the US and possibly other countries apparently Low Carb bread can be purchased in a lot of your regular grocery stores.  Here in Canada (my area anyway) you cannot and if you do manage to find something healthy and lower in carbs it will cost you almost $7 or $8 a loaf.  I cannot afford to pay that for a loaf of bread.

So I started searching for homemade alternatives.  The alternatives were not very good :(  Through trial and error I have finally come up with an alternative this recipe is a mix and match of several recipe currently available out there.  This one so far produces the lightest, fluffiest loaf of bread out there - not gummy, not 'damp'.  Looks like bread, feels like bread and pretty much tastes like bread. The best part - it does not raise my blood sugar when I eat a sandwich!  It comes out at 8.3 carbs per slice and there 3.1 g of fiber so for those that are counting carb that = 5.2 g of carbs per slice.  For me I am just happy I can have a sandwich. My loaf makes 16 slices - if you cut it in less there will be more carbs per serving.

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients (Makes 16 servings)
1
cup  (8 fl oz) Warm Water

2
large  Egg, Whole

2
tbsp  Olive Oil

3
packet  Stevia

       2/3 cup  Organic Flax Seed Meal
1/4
cup  Soy Flour

     1/2 cup  Organic Coconut Flour
      1 cup  Vital Wheat Gluten
2
tsp  Yeast

2
tsp  Sugars, Granulated

I prepare the dough in a bread machine and then finish off like regular bread.

Add the water yeast & sugar to the bread pan and let it set about 10 minutes giving the yeast time to bloom.  Then just add the rest of the ingredients and set the machine on the dough cycle.  Make sure you check while it's mixing to make sure all the ingredients get blended together and scrap down the sides of the pan.

Once the dough cycle is complete I punch down the dough, roll nicely and place in a lightly greased bread pan and set in a warm place to double in size (about one hour) then bake in a 350 degree oven.  Depending on your oven it should take between 20 & 30 minutes.  Just keep an eye on it after 20 minutes because it cooks up fast.

The yeast eats most of the sugar that is in the recipe and what remains is very minimal.  I can get 16 slices per loaf  and it works out to 5.3 g of carb per serving.  This is low enough to keep my blood sugar from spiking.

This is as close as I've been able to get to standard bread.  The loaf has a nice fluffy texture and tastes pretty darn good!  I partially freeze mine and then use an electric knife to slice. Then I just package it up in two slice packages and freeze.  I take out just what I need since this bread doesn't have all those nasty preservatives and stuff in it, it will turn stale fast if left out. The bread can be a little "spongy" but I can live with that.

Works great for sandwiches and toast and no white!




Remember, this recipe does 16 servings to get that carb count.  If you are using it to make buns or pizza dough it won't have that low carb count because there is no way you are going to get 16 buns out of this recipe.  Still searching for a tasty alternative for that.

No comments :