Monday, May 20, 2013

A Loooooooooooong Weekend

Whew! I'm really glad it's all over! 

 It's going to take the rest of the week to catch up and recover from this long weekend. The last boxes of garage sale leftovers has been packed into the van and brought home. Yesterday, in the morning before I left home I seared a couple beef roasts and then placed them in a large crock pot. I poured a bottle of barbecue sauce over the roasts and it was ready to go. We took the crock pot, some potatoes, carrots and corn on the cob and headed to my daughters house. We had the garage sale going until my oldest daughter arrived and then shut it down for the day. We spend a nice day visiting, went for a walk on the beach, had a very tasty dinner and then ended the evening with an really nice fireworks display and bonfire. 



 Of course a bonfire wouldn't be complete without smores 



As much as I love and really wanted a smore I couldn't justify the tradeoff  of taste for the high blood sugar count that would follow :( so I settled for a couple roasted wieners instead.





I have to mention that I really like the Schneiders Country Naturals Wieners

.
I don't know if these are available outside of Canada but they are my new go to when I want hotdogs or a wiener roast. I am very picky about the meats I eat and in a perfect world I would only by organic, from a butcher I trusted but in the real world I do not have unlimited funds.  In truth I am on a very limited budget and when I say limited I really mean limited.  So, I have to make due with what I can afford.  I always try to buy the best with what I have and I am very satisfied with these. 

Here are the ingredients according to the Schneiders website:

Pork, Water, Sea Salt, Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Cultured Celery extract , Spice, Dehydrated Garlic, Smoke
Wieners with Natural Ingredients
*No preservatives added beyond those naturally occurring preservatives and nitrites in the ingredients. Sea Salt and Cultured Celery Extract Contain Naturally Occurring Nitrites.
Made with our quality cuts of pork

And the nutritional information:

All in all I am quite satisfied with the ingredients, nutritional value and taste and would recommend them to friends and family.  I have read the packages of some of the other wieners and I am not comfortable with the listed ingredients.  Of course I am not saying that wieners are your best choice of meat lol! However, just because I am trying to eat healthier doesn't mean I am never going to enjoy the fun things in life.   I gave up my smores - I have no intention of giving up my wieners and I am happy that I actually have a choice that is fairly healthy.  Just so you know I am not affiliated with Schneiders and was not asked to post a review or anything in the way of promotion.  I'm just voicing my opinion on a product I found that fits in with my lifestyle changes that I actually liked.  I will continue to let you know when I find something I think is great!

So the weekend has come to an end and I am absolutely worn out!  The boxes from the garage sale are still packed in the back of the van and they are going to stay there until tomorrow.  Now I need to get back to my routine and get this neglected house back into shape.   Either my furniture is changing colour or there is some much needed dusting that is calling my name. Ugh!

No comments :