Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Yummy Crock Pot Corn Chowder Recipe

This isn't a low carb recipe but it's still fairly healthy.   I had a bunch of leftover corn from the long weekend and couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it.   Today is my "off the wagon" day for my lifestyle changes where I allow myself a few extra carbs so I planned ahead and made a corn chowder.  It's been really hot here the past couple days so I really didn't want to heat the kitchen up.  I decide to try making the chowder in the crock pot.  I little fiddling and it turned out really well and it was flavourful enough to serve as a cold soup.  I love cold soups on a hot day and this one fits the bill nicely.   Served with your favorite side salad, it makes a perfect meal for those warm summer days.

So here's my recipe.

Summer Corn Chowder

© Jbatt | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images



6 cobs of fresh sweet corn - cooked and corn cut from cob
2 large potatoes - chopped
1 large Spanish onion - chopped
1 grilled red pepper - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tsp onion powder
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 lime - juiced
1 tsp cilantro - dried or if you have fresh all the better - just chop up a bit
1 tsp sriracha sauce (or your favorite hot pepper sauce)
salt & pepper to taste

You can add all the ingredients as is or saute the onions & garlic until lightly caramelized, which is how I prefer it but if you are in a hurry they will cook down nicely and add awesome flavor. You also get added flavor if you grill the sweet corn and red peppers.  The more flavor you have the better it is served cold.  Again if you are cramped for time just add it in with grilling - it's going to taste good but the flavor just won't be as intense.

After all the ingredients are added to the crock pot just turn it on high for 4 hours or low for 8.  If the chowder isn't as thick as you'd like it you can always remove the lid and let it go on high until the chowder reduces or you can use your favorite thickening agent and thicken it yourself.  I found when I cooked it, that the potatoes provided the thickening I needed and served cold it was thicker anyway.

This makes about 6 main dish servings or 8 with something on the side.  Of course that all depends on how hungry you are.

This is fairly high on the acceptable carb level as far as I am concerned but I allow myself a treat every once in a while and this is yummy!

No comments :