Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday Sweets - Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

I thought I'd start a weekly posting called Sunday Sweets where I can share some of my favorite low carb dessert recipes with you.  I'm a real sweet junky -  cakes, pies, cookies, donuts, chocolate, yep all the stuff that's not good for you.  So this "no white" and low carb has been extremely difficult.   No, I definitely haven't been perfect but I am proud of the fact that even though I go off plan once in a blue moon, I still get right back on it.  Before I would have used going off plan as an excuse ... you know the one  "well that's it I blew it, might as well go ahead and have another piece",  "well might as well just give up for the day" then "well might as well start again next week".  Not any more!  If I slip, I grab on and keep going!

Part of the reason I am able to is that I have tried to find alternatives to my old haunts. Because of my medical conditions it is quite likely I will have to eat this way for the rest of my life so I might as well make myself as comfortable as I can.

Now that I've chatted your ear off,  I will share one of my favourite  recipes.  I wanted to make something "fallish" and dessert like.  I've been seeing the ads and signs all over the place for Pumpkin Spice Lattes so I thought why not!


Here's my version:                       

Low Carb Pumpkin Pie Smoothie



1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup coconut milk (canned)
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 packages artificial sweetener (I use Stevia)
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (adjust to taste, I prefer mine a bit stronger)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 cup ice cubes

*sugar free whipped cream, cinnamon and a couple chopped walnuts (optional )

Add everything except ice cubes to the blender and blend until smooth.  Add ice cubes and blend for another few minutes until all the ice has been blended in and it looks smooth and creamy.

Pour into two of your best, fancy glasses. Top with a dollop of sugar free whipped cream, sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon and a few pieces of walnut.  Yummm!  Dessert in a glass.

No comments :