Monday, September 23, 2013

What Did You Have For Breakfast?

While eating breakfast this morning I thought maybe it would be a good idea to share a few of my favorite "go to" recipes that I go to for breakfast.  I was extremely hungry this morning so I ended up making two of them today.  Generally I will only have one or the other to eat and top it off with a green tea.  Not today however, the cool crisp air seemed to increase my appetite today - lol!

I got the little guy off to school and came home to a nice quiet house which is extremely unusual since it is a two family home at the moment.  Peace and quiet are a rarity around here.  My daughter and her family are staying with us until they find a house which means a peaceful breakfast happens almost never!

To celebrate I whipped myself up a nice sit down breakfast which consisted of the following:

Cheese & Salsa Omelet



I only use farm fresh, free range eggs any more.  There has been a lot of research and it has been found that most of the regular store bought eggs contain no Omega 3's at all.  They do however contain a lot of Omega 6's.  Omega 6 all on it's own is absolutely no good for you.  Your body requires a healthy balance between Omega 3's and Omega 6's. Food people used to eat years ago such as dairy and meat contained both omega 3's and 6's, however the standard American or Canadian diet is now lacking because of the way meat and dairy are raised. Those Omega 3's are missing!  Since I eat lower carb as a rule and consume a fair amount of eggs, dairy and meat in a week, this has been a personal choice for me.   I have found by increasing the amount of Omega 3's in my diet I have been able to lower my cholesterol from being dangerously high with almost no good cholesterol to a perfectly normal level.   So contrary to popular believe, eating low carb and especially eating a fair amount of eggs does not raise my cholesterol, it lowers it.  However, I would not attempt to do so if I were consuming regular, store bought eggs the results would be very different - for me anyway.

That being said, I am on an extremely limited income and although I can afford the eggs, purchasing free range, organic meat is still out of my price range.  Until I move back to the country and am able to raise my own I am stuck purchasing ordinary off the shelf meat unless there is a huge sale.  So I do supplement my diet with Omega 3 Softgels  as well as adding things like Flaxseed to my daily intake.   Anyway here's my recipe for the Omelet.

2 omega 3 eggs
1 ounce of old sharp cheddar cheese
pinch of salt & pepper
1/2 tsp Sirachi
2 tablespoons salsa ( I use my home made stuff but any low carb salsa will do)

Mix the eggs, salt, pepper, Sirachi & 1 tablespoon of Salsa in a small bowl.  Spray your omelet pan well with cooking spray.  Heat pan over medium heat and pour your egg mixture in.  Swirl your pan a bit and slightly raise the edges of the eggs as they cook to allow all the egg mixture to cook.  When the omelet has cooked enough to flip do so and then add your cheese and 1 tablespoon of salsa, fold over and cook until omelet is finished and cheese is melted.  Top with the remaining tablespoon of salsa.  Yum!  You can of course add whatever else you like to your omelet, I often throw in left over meat and veggies from the night before. 
One Minute Coconut Flax Wild Blueberry Muffin
 
The title for this recipe is a little bit misleading because it actually may take longer than one minute to cook it, depending on your microwave.  Mine actually takes one and a half minutes.  This recipe is based on the popular low carb one minute muffins that have been circulating the internet for years. I use frozen wild blueberries, you can use your preference and this recipe works just as well with fresh.

2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (I prefer golden to me it just tastes better)
1 tablespoon coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder (I use aluminum free)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I have also used other spice mixes such as pumpkin pie spice)
2 teaspoons sugar substitute (I use Stevia)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon coconut oil (you can use your preference of oil or even melted butter)
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Mix dry ingredients well.  Make sure the baking powder is thoroughly mixed as I find sometimes it clumps and leaves lumps in your muffin - yuck!.  Mix egg, oil & water well and add to dry ingredients.  Combine well and add your blueberries.  Spray a coffee cup or other similar container with non-stick cooking spray add your mixture and microwave for one minute.  If after one minute it's still mushy or wet on top put it back in and cook for 15 secs at a time until it's cooked in the center but watch carefully it goes from wet to dried out very fast!  I also pop mine out of the cup after 1 minute and flip it over and put it back in the cup.  Some days mine is done at 1 minute 15 seconds sometimes it takes 1 minute 30 seconds.  Not sure why but whatever! LOL!  Pop it out of the mug split in half and butter it if you like (which I definitely do).  This muffin is quite filling on it's own which is why a lot of the times I just have it for breakfast along with a tea.  Plus there are a lot of calories in the flaxseed and egg so it's a meal all on it's own.  If you are eating this along with something else such as I did today you may want to go that mid-morning snack if you are counting calories.  I only ate half of the muffin and put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow.

Cinnamon Coconut Green Tea


This is my favorite way to drink green tea.

Green tea
1 tablespoon solid coconut milk (I keep a jar of canned coconut milk in the fridge so it goes solid. Makes it nice and creamy but watch the carb counts - not all coconut milk is created equal)  *This is the coconut milk you buy on the shelves in a can not the kind of coconut milk you purchase in the dairy section for drinking.
1 tablespoon of cream
1 package Stevia (or sweetener or your choice)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Steep your green tea as you usually would.  When ready add the coconut milk, cream, cinnamon and sweetener. 

So what did you have for breakfast?

No comments :