Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday - Visit With The Surgeon






You guessed it, I am scheduled for a Colonoscopy in two weeks.  Today was my appointment to meet the surgeon who will be performing the task.  He went over how the procedure works, what they need me to do in preparation for the surgery and to see if I had any questions.   I've been reading online all about it for a few weeks now so I'd say I'm pretty informed.  You can even watch videos of one being performed online if you like.  I didn't go that far but I did do a heck of a lot of reading.

It's a procedure that is done routinely and although there are risks as with any procedure, the risks are not very high.   I will be medicated through an IV so it will be less uncomfortable although I'm sure it still won't be the most pleasant of experiences.  I can't say that I'm looking forward to it but it will ease my mind about some medical problems I've been having and hopefully the results will be positive.  

I am a little nervous because I will have to stop taking one of my medications 7 days before the procedure and I'm hoping things will be OK.  It's medication I've been taking since my heart attack - a blood thinner of sorts.  Obviously, it would be way too dangerous to be taking while having this done, but still nervous.   I've also been given some stuff you have to take the day before your scheduled to go in that "cleans you out" - ugh!  You are to plan on staying close to a toilet for the day while you're taking it - lol!   Makes it easier to see what's going on if your insides are empty.  Not looking forward to that at all.   The doctor wanted and ECG done as well today to make sure the old ticker is working properly before he performs anything. 

This is something everyone over 50 should have done.  Or if you have colon cancer run in your family it should be performed even earlier.  Although I am having it for different reasons at this time. Just a friendly reminder to everyone to not take your health for granted.  Even if it seems a little uncomfortable it's still an extremely important test that should be done.

So I will let you know how everything goes in the days ahead.

I also had some xrays done today - totally unrelated to the above procedure though.  Today's xrays were for my hips and knees.  The doctor is trying to figure out why I am having so much pain.  I've had them done several times in the past and they've shown nothing so I don't expect anything to change.  However, because I have a new doctor she has to start from scratch and go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Anyway, it's short and sweet today.   I am still sick with this dumb cold on top of everything else so not quite up to par this week.    Will keep you updated though!

No comments :