Saturday, July 18, 2015

Long Time Gone.

Yes, exactly like the title says I've been gone a very long time. A lot has changed in my life in the past year. A lot has stayed the same. I have had some huge decisions to make that will completely change my life for the better or maybe for the worse.

As you already know I suffer from many health problems and the list keeps growing. The more medical tests I have the more they find wrong with me. It's gotten to the point that things have to change. So with a great deal of soul searching, thought and research and some strong suggestions from my medical team I am going to embark on a new journey and have weight loss surgery. Please don't comment with your negative thoughts or rude comments. This decision hasn't come lightly. Yes this surgery will probably help me loose weight and Lord knows I need the help but what it is hopefully going to do is help some of my co-morbidities. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, uncontrollable blood sugar and I've suffered a heart attack. I have Sleep Apnea and also suffer from Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Restless Leg Syndrome, two forms of Arthritis and seem to have absorption issues. Studies have shown that this operation can greatly improve if not completely cure some of these issues and that is the main reason I am doing this. In turn it will also help me lose weight which I hope will give me some relief in the pain department.

My doctor referred me to the Bariatric Clinic over a year ago. I had my orientation on August 25th, 2015. My first two appointments are scheduled for July 22nd. I'm getting excited because we are getting ever closer to the operation.

I have had several tests during the long wait time this past year: blood tests, ECG, EKG, colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal & liver ultrasounds and sleep tests. It has been exhausting but I am nearing the end of all the testing.

On the July 22nd I will have my first assessment with the social worker and the bariatric nurse. If I pass the testing with them I will move on to another social worker and a nutritionist. If I get approval from those four appointments I will move on to see the Internist and last but not least the surgeon. This will all move rather quickly and as long as there are no problems I should be looking at September for the surgery.

 I am excited because if this works my life will totally change. I am also scared because if this doesn't work there could be major complications and I just may not make it through.

Now I need to explain on thing. If you think for one minute this operation is the easy way out then you are so far off it isn't funny. You still have to make lifestyle modifications, you still have to exercise and you will be eating like a sparrow for months and sometimes even years. What this operation does do is give you some tools to work with. You can only eat very little bits at a time. You feel full faster and stay full longer. You can't eat things that are bad for you - or at least most can't or you will be sick. This is all in the beginning. You have a good year for these tools to work and help you loose weight. After that it's entirely up to you. I will be posting about my appointments, my surgery and my daily battles. I'm going to post everything - what I eat, what I'm struggling with - everything. This way there will be a record of how the surgery is working for me and for those considering Bariatric Surgery. With any luck next year at this time I will be much slimmer and a whole lot healthier!

Tonight I am going to try and make it through a whole night with my Cpap machine.  I got it over a month ago but haven't been able to wear it much because part way through the night I'd wake up feeling like I was being smothered.  I also sleep on my side and every time I moved the seal would lift and my mask would get shoved sideways.  It's really uncomfortable and take some serious getting used to.  This is one of the things I am hoping will improve with the weight loss surgery.  I'll let you know how it goes later tomorrow. 

Oh yeah, almost forgot ........ we are finally going to be moving and I cannot wait!  The only problem is it is around the same time as I am having my operation which is really going to be a pain in the butt because I won't be able to help much.  I honestly cannot wait, I have wanted out of this house for a very long time.  I need a fresh start and it looks like I'm going to get it!   Yee Haw!!


  post signature

No comments :